Hey everyone and Happy Easter, I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend. We have been at a family BBQ or Braai as its otherwise known and we thought we would add to the feast with some snacks and sides. When I thought about what would go down well, I knew they loved bacon, loved sweet things but also there are those who prefer savoury so when I saw this recipe on pinterest I was sold!
Mmmm sweet bacon goodness…
What you will need;
- 150g Savoury Ritz style crackers
- 100g Butter (I used unsalted)
- 300g Streaky bacon
- 100g Golden caster sugar (or soft brown sugar if you have it)
What you need to do;
- Cut the streaky bacon into small pieces and fry in two batches. I added a little butter to the pan each time, fried until crispy and then drained onto a piece of kitchen towel and then left it to cool completely.
- Line a baking tin with baking parchment and then lay out the Ritz style crackers in lines.
- Put the butter & sugar into a pan and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, bring it to a slow boil and boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour the extremely hot mixture (please be careful) over the crackers and put the tray into a 180 degree oven for 5 minutes.
- After the 5 minutes is up, remove the tray and sprinkle over the cooked bacon.
- Once it is completely cool, break the “candy” into smaller pieces and serve to your family who would have been drooling the entire time you have been making this. Well that is what happened in my house!
This recipe has been adapted from www.lovefoodies.com/bacon-crack, I hope you all enjoy it as much as we all did!